9 Gorgeous Grape Hues We’re Crushing On This Spring
By Gothlokwang Angoma-Mzini; Photography by Riana Vogel
Consider your makeup routine ripe for spring! Vino-hued make-up has been in a long-term love affair with autumn. But fresher takes on pinot noir, pinotage and cab sauv prove it’s not above a warm-weather fling. Get a taste and see…
It’s always wine o’clock somewhere!
Cab Sauv Eyes
– With medium or dark skin, sweep a powder red- wine shadow onto your lids, applying the most near your lash lines, then blend it upward, diffusing the colour as you reach the creases for an ombré effect. (FYI, the diffusion is key: a strong purply tone all over lids can
look like a black eye.) Fair complexion? Use the same technique with a sheer cream formula, which is less dense than a powder and creates less contrast.
– Thinly trace dark- brown liner along top and bottom lashes, then swipe on black mascara.
1. Catrice De Luxe Trio Shadow in 030 Rose Vintouch (R95)
2. Urban Decay Eyeshadow Shimmer in Last Call (R225)
3. Bobbi Brown Long- wear Cream Shadow Stick in Violet Plum (R425)
– File nails into a round shape, then buff surfaces smooth; opaque fleshy tones can showcase lumps and bumps. Use Elegant Touch Shape and Shine Block Four Sided Shape, Smooth, Buff and Shine (R30).
– After a base coat, brush on two thin layers of sherry-hued polish.
– Use a high-shine topcoat, which keeps mauve-tinged hues from looking dingy.
1. OPI Nail Lacquer in Kerry’s Blossom, R204
2. Revlon ColorStay Gel Envy in Hold ’Em (R119)
3. Morgan Taylor Nail Lacquer in Must Have Mauve (R138)
Pinot Noir Lips
– Apply a luminising tinted moisturiser or, if your skin’s oily, just dust a shimmery highlighter on cheekbones for grease-free radiance (Champagne for fair skin; golden for dark).
– Since matt lipstick can draw attention to cracks and dryness, exfoliate lips with a moisturising scrub, like Bodyography Exfoliating Lip Duo (R340).
– Dab on a matt lipstick with your fingers for a subtle effect; swipe from the tube for a richer payoff.
1. Maybelline Color Sensational Creamy Matte Lipstick in Divine Wine (R125)
2. Chanel Rouge Allure Velvet Rouge Audace (R610)
3. YSL Rouge Pur Couture Mat in 208 Grenat Satisfaction (R550)