Get Lean With A Buddy With This 15-Minute Workout
By Marissa Gainsburg, Gym equipment sponsored by
Grab a copilot for this high-energy routine and score lean results like that.
There are days when your workout is a one-woman show. No trainer, no chitchatting— just you and your “I got this” vibe. And then there are days when you need a little push. That’s when a partner is clutch. “Sharing a workout motivates you to dig deeper, because now you have someone else feeding off your energy,” says Heidi Powell, a personal trainer on , who designed this routine with her husband, Chris (also a trainer on the show). Here, you’ll trade off exercises—one cardio drill and one strength move.
The quicker you speed through your high-intensity cardio, the fewer dumbbell reps your bud has to bang out. This gets you both into the fat-burning zone faster—and keeps you there. Think of these pairs as supersets. Starting with the first superset, complete the required reps of the first exercise while your partner performs the second until you finish; then switch exercises within that superset. Continue to the next superset and repeat the pattern through the third superset. Then finish as a team: Trade off rounds of burpees until you have collectively banged out 100 reps (one of you can do more than the other, and feel free to take breathers). Do this routine twice a week—and if you’re feeling extra jazzed, go ahead and knock it out solo.
You’ll need: One set of dumbbells
Watch our WH staffers perform the moves:
Superset 1: High Knees/ Bent-Over Dumbbell Row
1. High Knees: Stand with feet hipwidth apart, elbows bent at your sides. Raise one knee as high as you can as you lift your opposite arm; repeat on the other side. That’s one rep; do 100 reps.
2. Bent-Over Dumbbell Row: Stand with feet hip-width apart, knees bent, arms extended, and a dumbbell in each hand. Lower your torso until it’s almost parallel to the floor. Bend your elbows to pull the weights to the sides of your torso, keeping elbows pointing behind you. Lower the weights to return to start. That’s one rep.
Superset 2: Jumping Jack/ Overhead Shoulder Press
1. Jumping Jack: Stand with feet hip-width apart, hands at your sides. Raise your arms as you jump up and widen your stance. Reverse motion to return to start. That’s one rep; do 100 reps.
2. Shoulder Press: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, elbows bent, and hands holding dumbbells at your shoulders. Rotate your hands so your palms face forward as you push the weights overhead. Lower to return to start. That’s one rep.
Superset 3: Plank Jack/ Back Squat
1. Plank Jack: Start in a pushup position, your feet an inch or two apart. Brace your abs as you jump both feet wider, then jump back in to return to start. That’s one rep; do 100 reps.
2. Back Squat: Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, elbows bent, and hands holding dumbbells at your shoulders. Push your hips back and bend your knees to lower into a squat, keeping your elbows pointing down and as parallel to each other as possible. Stand to return to start. That’s one rep.
Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, then quickly push your hips back and bend your knees to lower into a squat. Place your hands in front of your feet, then jump back into a pushup position. Engage your abs as you quickly jump your feet in behind your hands, then jump up with your feet together and arms reaching overhead. That’s one rep. Do 100 together.
Prefer to train solo? Torch fat fast with this explosive 15-minute workout, sign up for our and slim down in just 12 weeks!