11 Natural Foods That Are Super High In Potassium
When it comes to healthy eating, we all know it’s important to keep our salt (sodium) intake low, but we sometimes forget that it’s equally important to get enough potassium.
Potassium is a mineral that maintains water and electrolyte balance in the body and helps control activity of the heart, muscle, and nervous system. Potassium has been shown to lower blood pressure.
Fortunately, there are many foods loaded with potassium, so it’s very easy to get potassium from the foods you eat and not from a supplement. Many high-potassium foods are plant-based foods, so they have the added bonus of containing loads of other important nutrients and antioxidants that prevent disease.
The recommended level of intake for potassium for a healthy adult is 4700 mg per day.
Here is a list of foods that are good sources of potassium:
- 1 medium sweet potato = 542 mg
- ½ cup white beans = 595 mg
- ½ avocado = 507 mg
- 1 cup raw beetroot = 442 mg
- 1 cup sliced apricots = 427 mg
- 1 cup chopped tomato = 427 mg
- 1 medium banana = 422 mg
- 1 cup sliced carrot = 390 mg
- ½ cup cooked lentils = 366 mg
- 1 cup low fat milk = 366 mg
- ½ cup red kidney beans = 304 mg
Did you know that a lack of potassium can cause muscle cramps?